Penne with Sausage and Peas
This was inspired by one of our favorite Italian restaurants in Chicago. I took the cream out and replaced it with a plant-based substitute from Kite Hill to keep all the flavor and creaminess.
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Mirapoix – 50% onion, 25% carrot, 25% celery – all finely diced
- 3–4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 lbs sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 heaping teaspoon Calabrian Chiles
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- ½ can water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas unthawed
- 1 container of Kite Hill garlic plant-based cheese spread (or Treeline is another great alternative)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté until tender (about 3-5 minutes)
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add sausage and cook for about 5 minutes breaking up the sausage with the back of a wooden spoon until thoroughly cooked through and no longer pink. Add salt and pepper
- Add tomato paste and Calabrian chiles, mix well and incorporate into the pork mixture, cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add a can of tomatoes and ½ can of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer and continue simmering until most of the liquid is absorbed about 30-45 minutes
- Stir in the plant-based cheese and peas, cook for an additional 1-2 minutes stirring continually. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve over pasta & enjoy.
Follow along with The Zen Mommy for more clean eating recipes!
Check out my top favorite kitchen tools here.