Vegan Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese
Vegan / Gluten Free
Macaroni and Cheese doesn’t have to just be for those dairy eating folks! You’re in luck – here is a delicious vegan and gluten free macaroni and cheese recipe.
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large russet potato peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- ¼ cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Braggs amino acids
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Dice all the veggies into similar size cuts (don’t be too worried about precision because you will blend this all together later.)
- Sauté onions in olive oil until translucent, add potatoes and carrots, cashews and 1 cup of vegetable stock. Cover and turn down heat to a simmer until all liquid is evaporated and veggies are soft. (May need to add additional liquid). Allow the veggies to cool and then place in a blender or Vitamix with remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth and check seasoning.
- Boil water and cook the noodles according to the package directions. Drain
- Mix the cooked noodles with the cheese sauce and put in a 9×13 casserole dish.
- In a small sauté pan, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil. Mix the breadcrumbs and dry mustard together and heat over medium heat until lightly toasted. Top the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes – cover with foil only halfway through. If you want it even more browned on top, turn on the broiler for 2-3 minutes.
Follow along with The Zen Mommy for more clean eating recipes!
Check out my top favorite kitchen tools here.